Just because you have a small living room doesn’t mean you have to live small. Designing small rooms is all about tricking the eye into making the area appear more spacious than it is in reality. Big or small your living room should be as functional as it is relaxing. Live large in small living rooms. Here are some design tips for your small living room.
Mirror Mirror on the Wall
Interior Designers often use mirrors to make rooms appear larger. Mirrors and other reflective surfaces, do just that, reflect light, and add special depth to a space, along with creating a nice ambiance by distributing light.
Tip: Place a mirror across from a window, it will reflect and give the illusion of another window.
On the up and up
You may not have a lot of space horizontally, however if you happen to have high ceilings use them to your full advantage.
- – If you have extra vertical space, decorate it in a manner that draws the eye up.
- – Floor to ceiling drapes are a fashionable way to create that illusion.
Go Big, Go Neutral
A colour palette of off-white and other light neutrals on the walls will expand the space.
- – Soft hues illuminate spaces by reflecting light.
Tip: A neutral palette creates a calming environment and adds sophistication to the space.
Lightweight & Small-Scale Furniture
When shopping for furniture for your small living room, consider the visual weight and the overall size of the pieces.
- – Select pieces that have a lightweight appearance and that will complete the space without overpowering or dominating the space.
- – Glass and other furniture that don’t obstruct views will make an area seem more open.
Tip: Consider sofas, love seats, or chairs without large arms or go completely armless.